Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gut Feelings

It is official. Hubby and I signed the documents to terminate our contract on that house. It was exciting while it lasted, for 14 days.

In the end, neither of us REALLY wanted the house. I keep asking people we know who had bought homes, "How did you know it was the right house?" People essentially said, "We just knew, and we really wanted it." Well, for us, neither of us really wanted it, and while it was "good enough", for so much money, we think we can do better.

Of the three places Hubby and I have lived in since we got married, we really only chose our first residence. We had been married for about 1 month, (and lived with my very, very, sweet roommate from med school for that month), and needed to find a place to live in New York City. Back in 2000, with the dot come boom, it was maddening to find a place. We had to through realtors for rentals, and pay them a fee of 12% of the annual rent, up front. Yikes! I, made no money. Hubby, made some money, but had wanted to use some money to go to business school. We picked a neighborhood based on my best friend's recommendation- she works in historical preservation, and knows New York City like a tour guide. We saw three places in Brooklyn Heights, the first one was a dump. The door had at least ten locks on it, and the floor was totally slanted. The second place was beautiful, but a little out of our price range. We then switched realtors.

The third place, was love at first sight. While it was a railway apartment (you had to walk through the bedroom to get to either end of the apartment) and the bedroom was just big enough for a bed, we loved the building. We loved the landlord- he had inherited the building, and lived in it, took great pride in preserving it, and told us all about the copper ceiling (or something like that). His uncle also lived in the building and essentially, was our door man. We saw it, we both loved it and lived in it, happily, for 2 years.

We want that feeling again. The house won't be picture perfect, but we will know that OUR house will be perfect for us. I just think that the perfect house for us was already sold in April of this year- I had seen the house with Aidan, and I just loved it. But we weren't ready, and so, that must not be THE house.

No comments: