Saturday, September 4, 2010

Soliliquy #3

I think becoming tough can be very good for all of us.

For starters, to be physically tough will decrease the rates of obesity, hypertension, cancer, diabetes, and lots of other diseases. With decreased morbidity, the health care cost will be less, and well, that is good for everybody.

I understand that obesity can be genetic, and of course we shouldn't punish people for what nature has dealt them. On the other hand, people can be rewarded for making changes! Why not have actuaries figure out how much it does cost to insure an person with a BMI of 40 versus a BMI of 30, and each step in between? I am sure actuaries can tell us that, even with more factors thrown in, such as smoking habits and all. Then, based on the facts, we can get money back for making good choices. I really do think people want to change, they just need the right motivation and help.

I can probably count on my fingers the number of obese patients who are not interested in losing weight, that I have encountered thus far. People are very open to discussing meal plans, exercise routines, emotional eating habits...with me. And most of them do lose weight!

I don't know if talking about helping people lose weight and then rewarding them with better insurance rates makes me ultra conservative or what, but that is good for them! Why not?!

No comments: