Thursday, July 28, 2011

SKATE!

When Aidan was 4 and half years old, he gladly went for a season of AYSO with The Green Knights. It was a very fun season. While he played, we cheered on the side lines, and Zoe very much wanted to join in and play, at a year and half.

Zoe is going to be starting in AYSO this summer, she has already decided that her team will be The Lollipops. (The XX chromosomes are just different than the XY chromosomes, no matter how much we want to deny that fact.) She has been practicing with Hubby, which is so cute to see, because she has Hubby's muscular legs. And she is just so focused, "Finally, my turn."

Aidan, on the other hand, will not be playing soccer anymore. Instead, we are becoming more and more entrenched in the world of hockey. Hockey is nothing like AYSO. AYSO doesn't keep score, but it is ALL about the score with hockey. While parents cheer at AYSO, parents are hockey scream, "SKATE!" to their children, never mind the kids can't hear anything with those helmets. AYSO is relatively inexpensive, hockey is very much unlike that. While not the most expensive sport ever, (horseback riding is, probably?), I am dreading buying a whole new set of gear when Aidan outgrows his current stuff.

Why are we doing this? I ask myself that EVERY time I drive to the rink. Just why am I freezing here, taking in the very unique odor of ice hockey gear? Do I really want to continue?

Apparently, though, we are continuing. Aidan has a tryout tomorrow for the traveling league, and according to his coaches, the ice rink Zambonie driver, the guy who hands out skates, and the figure skating director, Aidan has improved SO much. Just last December, he was barely going in a straight line. He loves it, and so I love it. But I am definitely, a bit concerned about the schedule. So concerned that I had a dream last night, that Aidan and Zoe needed to be at two different rinks at the same time. Yikes!

No comments: