It is simply astounding to see you graduate from preschool this evening. I know, it is weird that you started kindergarten already then you graduated from preschool.
I remember when you started school. It was a very hot September day. I was due back at work after extending my maternity because I couldn't bear to not be with you, and also because your mother, had procrastinated SO much during gestation, that there simply was no place to take you. Nonetheless, God, the faithful one, provided, even when Mommy and Daddy dropped the ball. We packed your bags, of diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, peas, bottles, blankets, Mr. Hippo, emergency supplies (in case you had to be away from us due to natural disasters or something.) You were great, and I sobbed as I drove away. Teacher Melissa had e mailed me this picture from lunch that day, knowing how much I missed you.

We adjusted. You adjusted. You learned to drink from a bottle, to take naps with other children, to feed yourself, to gain lots of words, to control of your sphincters, to be a big brother, and most of all, to become more self sufficient day by day. I also learned a lot, to limit my frustrated screaming to inside our trusty Volvo, on my way to work after taking you to school, so that no one else had to listen. I also learned to let you make your mistakes, and to give you the space you need, day by day.
We were so blessed to have this preschool for you for the last five years (I am a little frightened to think of how much tuition- post tax dollars, that we paid for these very patient teachers to lovingly take care of you.) It was money well spent.

As you embark on your elementary education, we are excited for you. That you will learn how to read and write (perhaps in Chinese too), to master basic math, to make new friends, and of course, to become even more self sufficient day by day. We are so proud of you, Aidan.
Much love,
Mommy
3 comments:
Love,
Daddy
<--- now crying.
So sweet. We are sorry to have missed Aidan's graduation but look forward to celebrating many more of his milestones in the years to come. Love, A&S
Post a Comment