Monday, November 16, 2009

Boundaries

Sometimes, I am very good at preserving my boundaries, sometimes, I am so tempted to break these carefully established boundaries.

For instance, Hubby's day job is actively hiring tech writers and programmers- if we know you in real life, get in touch with us for us to refer you- and as I come across people who are unemployed, underemployed, or just unhappy with their jobs, I am SO tempted to say, "Hey, you wanna talk to my Hubby, for this awesome place to work?" Of course, I can't really do that, I mean, how will I tell Hubby why this person is calling? It would break confidentiality, unless I get their permission to do so, but then again, would I want to see the said person at the Christmas party? With my current patients, and this particular person, I wouldn't mind, but still, awkward...

Then, I have this female patient who is successful at her job, but terrible at her relationships (she would say the same, trust me), who desperately want to find a male partner. Of course, we are working on her idea that paired off people are always happier- NOT true. Meanwhile, I have this male patient, established in his career, wants to be better at his relationships- people tell him he is 'difficult'- and trust me, he would say the same if he were here. So anyway, I imagine this: What would happen if they met in my waiting room, would they hit it off, and since both are aware of their difficulties, would it work? Or would it end up like Sex and the City, where Carrie goes to see a therapist because she chooses bad boys, and then dates a guy who is seeing the same shrink because he is a bad boy?

Never a dull day at the office, if these patients lives don't occupy my mind enough, my own imaginations keep me busy...

Just for the record, in case the Medical Board of California is spying on me: I have NO intentions of referring people to Hubby's work, and ABSOLUTELY no intentions of setting people up, NOT EVEN switching my schedule around so that the above two people might run into each other. ABSOLUTELY not.

No comments: