Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Trying to be Green

I am trying SO hard to be green, but not getting very far.

When we got our PG&E bill in our new residence, I was a little shocked. I had never seen a bill this expensive, for utilities, ever. Then I got our water bill! HA!

Oh, I miss the days of living in the dorms- leaving the lights on, blasting the heat, opening the window to adjust the indoor temperature. Fabulous. I miss living in a brownstone- the landlord paid water and gas and electricity. Totally beautiful. I also miss the days of living in a townhome, where you hardly have any exposed walls so that it is so energy efficient.

After reviewing the bill, we decided to take out some of the bulbs, be more aware of un-needed lights...etc. Then the new bill came.

Somehow the gas and electric costs swapped! Yes, we cut our energy cost by about 10%, but how much we spent for gas in the December statement is essentially what we used for electricity in January and vice versa. Seriously. I am concerned: Does PG&E actually keep track of this stuff? Which statement is real? Or did we suddenly use so much more gas, to do what?! And did I stop using all lights?

On the other hand, we are being so green by turning off the automatic watering system for the yards, we are now relying on God's watering system. I can't wait to see our next water bill.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Check the actual usage on your meters, don't trust PGE. Sometimes PGE estimates one month and if the estimate is high it'll frustrate measuring the effectiveness of cutting usage.

Check the actual usage, because rates change and can effect the dollars.