Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to School Thoughts

I know I have a dissenting voice. Ever since I was little, it annoyed my mother very much that whatever she said, I would disagree. "Eat your meat." "No, Mom, we should eat more vegetables." "Eat your vegetables." "But Mom! I need the protein to grow my muscles." You get the picture, it was painful to raise me.

These days, I have lured Hubby into my Camp of the Dissenting Opinion. I have convinced him to join me, in pointing out the strange ideas that surround us, the inefficiencies of government, of people. And yes, we are the Peanut Gallery.

With Aidan starting 1st grade, I am once again, finding lots of material: the same material as last year, just with the added, "I can't believe I have to do this again."

1. The info packet: At the beginning of the school year, he comes home with about a dozen sheets of paper, things for us to fill out, to sign. Things like emergency contact info and agreeing to the library policy. What I don't understand is why are we signing this again?! I mean, I don't sign the library policy at my city library annually, why are we doing this? Why do I need to fill out my 3 emergency contacts twice? Hello! It ought to be a data base on the web that we can get this done! For crying out loud, there is a poor soul who has to sort all this madness.

2. School supplies: I can't believe the current system is in place. We are given this list of stuff to buy, at 4 pm, the day before school starts. First of all, I imagine the supply is very much the same year to year. Why not send it to us at the end of last year, with the re-enrollment form. Better yet, post it on the website so we can look at it all summer long. Also, I can't believe that all 125 families will need to rush to the local stores to buy the same stuff. The PTA can easily use this as a fund raising opportunity: Here is your bag of supplies, give me your money. I would totally do that! Finally, do we get this supply back, or am I going to buying a new pair of scissors annually for the next 5 years?

3. School funding: I can't believe that our PTA has to fund the music and art and physical education programs. Class size is also going up, to 25. The classrooms were designed for about 18 kids. They are going to run out of space in the classrooms! Politicians should be required to send their children to public schools. Don't make other people do what you don't want to do for your own kids.

On the sunny side, I am very pleased with what Aidan has accomplished over the summer. He only had 5 weeks of summer, since we are in year round school. In 5 weeks, he read over 30 books, on his own. He is now doing subtraction, and even some multiplication, all in his head! I have a chance to get him into an Enrichment Program, where he can learn the Keyboard. He is also back in Chinese school, and I am pleased to say that this mother has finally came to a realistic goal: Aidan's goal in Chinese school is to be able to speak it and understand it. Reading and writing, not our priority. (So freeing to finally be ok with that for myself!) Socially, he is blossoming like those huge dahlias that are blooming right now! He makes friends so easily, and is such a sweetheart. Soccer will be starting soon, and that will be awesome. I am also thinking about doing some swimming lessons with him, so that we can both learn to swim properly!

As for Zoe, I am delighted to find out that I didn't miss the boat on signing up for gymnastics or ballet. (I know, it is ridiculous that one can 'miss the boat' for a 3 year old... but alas, we do live where we live...) I am hesitant about gymnastics because it really can stunt one's growth! On the other hand, I am hesitant about ballet because of its own health risks, like eating disorders... Possibly this mother knows a little too much for her own good. She is growing into a delightful young lady. We love how she will sometimes stop whatever she is doing, run over to us, and whisper, "Mommy, I love you!" She is also making friends easily in her new classroom, learning to obey, and just adores her big brother.

I can't believe how quickly they are growing up. As I picked them up from their schools today, I talked to them about how before I know it, we will be sending them to college! Aidan promised that I can go visit him whenever I want to, and that he will let me take him and his roommate out to dinner, and that it would be ok for me to send him money. =)

No comments: