Saturday, November 20, 2010

Trust Me Part II

I am trying to teach the kids to trust me, to know that I really do know more than they do, that I, in fact, want them to be happy. They don't usually believe me when I say so.

When we went to our church retreat, Aidan and Zoe were absolutely ecstatic about the bunk bed in our room. They built a fort, they climbed up and down, they played puppies, it was fun for all. Then, the next morning, Aidan started to beg to return to the room to play on his bunk bed, instead of going to the well-organized-and-very-fun program for kids. He begged, and begged and BEGGED. As I listened to his incessant demands about something that is so lame in comparison to the great fun he will really have with his friends and teachers, I thought about how I really don't trust my Heavenly Father.

"But Jesus, I really, really, really, want to go to an Ivy League medical school. I think it will be so good for me to do that. I really, really, really, want to date this guy, I mean, he is SO cute! I know he doesn't care about knowing you, but c'mon, have you seen how CUTE he is? Jesus, I really want to buy THIS house. Why can't you make that happen?" Meanwhile, Jesus is patiently waiting for me to see that I am wanting to play in the mud when He has an amazing playground for me.

I think, Jesus is always telling me, "My sweet daughter, trust me. I know what is good for you. I love you. I have died for you. I will not withhold anything that is good for you. I will give you what you need, what is good for you."

Similarly, A&Z can now parrot back to me, "Mommy, I trust you to know what is good for me." For now, anyway.

No comments: