Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

I will admit this readily, I am yearning for Thanksgivings of yore. Back to the days when I could spend all day cooking, without interruptions. The days when I shopped in the early hours of Friday and then napped luxuriously. The days without little people interrupting my conversations.

It is true, from time to time, I don't enjoy my kids very much. Ok, ok. I will be honest, a lot of times, I don't enjoy them at all.

The last hour may be one of those times. I don't know what it is, but these kids of ours, really, REALLY, like to be with us. Just go read a book by yourself, please! Go play with all these toys in the house! By. Your. Self!

I just want to complete something, ANYTHING!

Our Thanksgiving was lovely. I baked in peace the night before, and only had to cook a few side dishes in the afternoon as Honey Baked Ham had prepared our ham and turkey. (It was so much better than what I could have done!) The company was lovely, some family, a friend from Bible Study, and four new friends! These new friends had graciously played Monopoly with Aidan, and Aidan and Zoe got to run amok with their cousins. It was good.

There were rough patches on Friday, but we endured. We almost got stranded because Hubby's car key nearly broke in half. (The keys are 14 years old, and one had already broken in half- half of the key is still in the trunk key hole...) We made it home, had more friends over on Friday night, and fun was had by all also. But today, oh today, what happened to today?! While we met up with some college friends of ours, these children made it difficult to converse. Basically, they were being kids, but I was done being a parent.

Seriously, I am done with parenting. This forced volunteerism is over-rated and I have put in over seven years of my youth, and I am peetering out.

Oh yes, these kids are cute. Oh yes, I see that God is working in me, but really, I need Jesus to come soon.

I want to switch shoes with Zoe, I just want to hang upside down for a while.



I know, that the day when they will isolate themselves in their fortresses and I will yearn for the days when they clutched to my legs. However, I am also marveling the beauty of my mother's technique: as far back as I can remember, nearly every time I went to ask her to play with me, or to complain that I am bored, she gave me some kind of work to do. The kind of work that really made me want to just fly under the radar- like practicing Chinese handwriting, copying the multiplication table...etc. She also made me practice the piano and the violin, and all those hours were hours she had time to do stuff for herself, (I think, I can't be sure since well, I was in the piano room by myself.) It is truly a very smart system. I am enrolling Aidan and Zoe for piano lessons as soon as I can arrange it. Not just because it is time for them to jump on the train of music training, but that this mother needs some time to herself.

2 comments:

emilymr said...

"It is true, from time to time, I don't enjoy my kids very much. Ok, ok. I will be honest, a lot of times, I don't enjoy them at all." Yep. I know, that's kind of sad/guilt inducing -- but also true. I will say, the older they get, the better it's getting!

And whenever we complained about being bored, my mom made us dust the baseboards. Awful.

Anonymous said...

Ed and Al have been taking piano lessons for ~2 months. Sorry to share that they need my help most of the time at this point...