When my sister was in grade school, her Sunday School class sang for a Christmas service, and for some reason, my sister didn't know her words. My mom was MAD. On the way home, my mother wanted to know why my sister didn't know the words, why she didn't ask to learn the words...etc. My brother intervened, and said, "Oh mom, she is just having a bad day." My mother said, "Everyday is a bad day."
It was actually really hilarious, because, my mother always spoke to us exclusively in Chinese, and her English, at the time, was just so-so. Yet, this phrase, "Everyday is a bad day" came out of her with perfect grammar and diction.
I think we all laughed. Except my sister, I think she cried.
The story illustrates many things about our family, interpret what you wish. I am not offended- because I have thought about all of them already.
I think about that with my kids and myself now. "Everyday is a bad day." It is applicable here.
I slept well, Hubby got up with the kids at 7:30, and I rolled out of bed close to 8. I asked if anyone wanted French toast. Zoe wanted cereal, Hubby said, "I don't need anything fancy, cereal is fine." Aidan was silent on the subject. Even though they didn't want French toast, I had to make French toast. You see, my loaf of cinnamon bread was stale and if I didn't intervene, I was going to making my own penicillin off of it.
I made French toast. Of the 8 pieces, I ate one. Hubby ate another. SIX whole pieces were ignored. (Miff incidence #1.)
We got ready for church, and when I came back to the kitchen, the dishes were half put away. (Miff incidence #2.)
I taught Sunday school, the kids were fine, we had a good lesson.
I wanted to talk to my friends after church. But my kids wanted to go home. (Miff incidence #3.)
I made lunch, no one really wanted to eat it, other than Hubby. (Miff incidence #4.)
Then it was nap time, Hubby went to take a nap. Aidan started his quiet time. Zoe and I were going to nap too. She would NOT fall asleep. (Miff incidence #5.)
Aidan went to the bathroom, while talking to himself, a little too loudly for my taste. (Miff incidence #6.) So I yelled at the kids, which woke Hubby up. (I am one awesome wife.)
After some fruit for snack, I took the kids to the bookstore to give Hubby sometime to catch up on his work. Hubby wisely said, "I am not sure you should do this on your own. Maybe I should come with you." No, no, I insisted. "If they misbehave, I will just yell at them."
At the bookstore, Aidan was miffed about not being able to use his allowance to a new toy. (The next time he can buy a new toy is in February, he knew this. He already bought a Lego set for January.) Zoe opted to use her allowance to buy a set of Dora books. Aidan was more miffed that he didn't get to buy something, yet he didn't want to spend money on books. He wanted ME to spend MY money to buy HIM books. (Miff incidence #7.)
We walked over to the bank. The children fought over the deposit envelops for the ATM machine. (Miff incidence #8.)
I aborted our planned trip to Trader Joe's for treats, and drove us home. In stony silence. Not completely, because I had to say, "You know what?! I don't want to make dinner tonight."
In the end, of course, I made dinner. Hubby intervened. We all apologized. The children were fed, bathed, and read to, and bedded.
This is, what we would call, a bad day. Not because of my kids. But because I am sinful. Jesus, please come quickly. Please.
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment