Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Keeping It In the Family

I am a bit paranoid about A&Z's safety. They are now old enough to know to stick close to me when we are in a parking lot, that they need to be holding onto someone when we cross the street. To look and wait for us when they get to a street corner, basically, they are like little safety robots.

A little too much, sometimes. There are times, that I need to just leave them in the car, about 5 feet away from me, to drop off some stuff somewhere, the atm, Goodwill...etc, and they say, "But who is going to supervise us?" They also pray nightly for Jesus to send angels to guard their door.

The kind of safety I think a lot about, is molestation. I know, a truly cheerful topic.

I believe in talking to them about their bodies, to prepare them for the predator, I know, I know, really a bright discussion.

It is just that I have heard WAY too much about people being molested by a neighbor, uncle, aunt, siblings...

I usually start by telling them that God has given them really cute bodies. Each person is in charge of his or her own body. There are parts of the body that is not meant for people to touch, like your elbow. Just kidding. To avoid freaky searches on blogger, I am not even going to type the words. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule.

So, the other day, while I was rubbing lotion on Aidan's dry spots after bath time, I asked him, "Sweetheart, you have grown! I can't believe your body is so big now. Who is in charge of your body?"

Aidan: "Me."

Me: "That's right. Now, who can touch this part?"

Aidan, thinking hard, "Me, Dr. B (our pediatrician), you, Daddy, hmm, Zoe."

Me, stifling my laughter: "Actually, Honey, it is just for you now, and if it is hurting, for mommy or daddy or Dr. B to take a look. It is definitely NOT FOR ZOE, and actually, unless you have a concern, not for anyone else either."

I think, with enough brain washing, on his wedding night, he might have a flashback. =)

No comments: