Aidan and Zoe find piano challenging for different reasons.
Zoe, being almost 4, has smaller hands, and can't read yet. Therefore, she works hard at reaching for a the correct notes. She also has a harder time learning how to read music. However, she is great at playing notes in a very lovely legato. She also really, really, wants to play.
Aidan is so involved in his playing- his whole body moves up and down as he counts the beats. He is progressing very well with reading music too. We are flying through the book. But, oh dear, the attitude. "I am trying!" But child, not trying is not the problem. The technique is the challenge!
For them, learning piano is a very good challenge. I can almost see the wheels turn in their cute little heads, as they try to figure out what note they need to play, the rhythm, the fingers, keeping the body still, and of course, to obey.
In some ways, all the things these kids do, I see the tasks as secondary, but the primary reason for doing these things? To obey. When I say use your first finger on the middle C, there is no need to speak. Just put your first finger on the middle C. It doesn't matter if you like it or not like it, you just do. It is just warm ups for obeying the curfew.
I also am finding out why my mother used to do all these kind of annoying things while I practiced. She sang along, she counted out loud, she tapped on my shoulder, she pounded on the piano... Yup, I am doing all that stuff. (And it is all driving A&Z crrrrrazy!) I think, the process just TAKES SO LONG, that I sing, tap, count, to get the knowledge to them, by sheer force. Which, of course, doesn't work.
What works? Just lots of practice.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Things are little easier in our household. Because of
1. Ed and Al’s mother is not good at piano.
2. Thus, she has lower expectations.
Oh yes, it’s not unusual to see the Ed and Al’s bad finger positions, not counting, legs swinging while they are playing, etc.
Post a Comment