Father's Day often gets so neglected- Zoe's class didn't even make a craft project for Father's Day. (Remember how I said the head teacher is really lazy? No joke.) Which is really too bad, because Hubby is an awesome Daddy.
I hear about absent fathers from patients frequently, and it always makes me very sad, either emotionally absent or physically absent. Especially, because Hubby is anything but absent. It is remarkable, actually, that he is around as much he is. I am sheepish to admit that we eat dinner together every night at 6 pm, and then I basically hand off the kids to him, he plays with them, and gets them ready for bed. Often times, I just saunter in to kiss them good night.
My own father wasn't as available. He just worked so hard, all the time. (Not that Hubby doesn't work hard, but I think it speaks to the change of times. My Dad had to stay late at work because there was no such thing as the internet. These days, Hubby tucks in the kids and works some more.)
Anyway, I know I was a difficult child. Most nights, my Dad came home about 9:30 pm, and the first thing he usually wanted to do was to take a shower. However, I would wait to shower until he came home, and because he was, and has always been, more concerned about us getting enough rest, he would let me go first... (I know, I suck.)
I am like my Dad, very concerned about my kids getting enough rest. But also about many other things, for instance, I like a very, very, clean kitchen. Something that my Dad wants, but never got, thanks to three kids who were constantly eating. When we were teenagers, he would say that he never knew we had this or that to eat at home, until he took out the garbage, because then he saw the wrappers/packaging. My poor Dad, under-rested, and under-fed.
I also am blessed to have an awesome father-in-law. Whereas I hear about in-law troubles at work, my FIL goes out of his way to make my life easier. He takes Aidan to Kumon weekly, just so I don't have to make an extra stop. He invites us to dimsum, just to catch up with us. Most of all, he taught my dear Hubby to be sacrificial, which makes being his wife a breeze.
Of course, I have the ultimate sacrificial Heavenly Father. I really am so blessed.
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment