Monday, October 31, 2011

Working on a Cruise Ship

This definitely speaks to my guilt about hiring people to do things for me.

As wonderful as the cruise was, I felt so awful about having Nerissa clean our stateroom twice a day. Whenever I saw the towel animals, I thought about how she must be so tired. I felt guilty about Daniel and Noti bringing me tea, water, food, cutting up food for my children, entertaining my children...

Hubby tried to break it down for me:
They are making an honest and fairly good living, all the tips and wages they make, essentially are their to keep after their tax liabilities, as they do not need to pay for room and board, and there are very few ways of spending money while working as a crew member. They go on vacation, 2-3 months at a time. And, they do it so they can travel and see the world.

Still, I feel the compulsion to ask them for a social history, to be sure they are having a good time, that they are not suffering from loneliness, depression, anxiety. Professional hazard, what can I say?

No comments: