Sunday, March 1, 2009

An Obsession

If one must obsess about something, perhaps making meals is a 'good' obsession. Somehow, I keep thinking, if I can perfect my culinary routine, life would be more manageable.

Since work has picked up, my dreams of going home around 3 pm to start dinner then getting the children around 4 pm have gone out the window. These days, I rather have something ready to go for consumption at 6 pm, preferably without involving me. Since that is humanly impossible, I have been obsessed in figuring out a solution.

I have tried meal planning- I planned a month worth of meals and have yet to actually make any meals according to the schedule.

I use my crock pot more, of course, but am always somewhat disappointed with very dry, yet dripping wet meat, you know what I mean?


A sweet colleague from my day job, A, whom I am going to miss A LOT when I leave, keeps telling me about this thermal pot. She is right. This pot is AMAZING. I have made soups and stews. Absolutely amazing. In the morning, you brown whatever you want to brown, add liquids to cover, bring it to a boil, put it in the super well insulated thermal pot, seal it, and do whatever else you need to do for the day. At 6 pm, you are ready to eat, and the soup is also ready, at the perfect temperature, not boiling hot, but not lukewarm either. The meat is consistently tender and awesome. Highly recommend it.


Another cooking method that I am going to try is the one pot method according to Glorious One Pot Meals. Apparently, you heat the oven to 450 degrees, layer the ingredients in a Dutch oven, cover it, and bake it. Theoretically, you have crisp vegetables, tender meat, and flavor. I will keep you posted on this method.

This week, I plan on making chicken soup and ox tail stew. Yummers!

1 comment:

slowpoke said...

i know exactly what you mean about the crockpot meat... my chicken last week gave all the flavor and gelatin to the liquid which was too salty to drink!
i am also obsessed w/ getting a meal routine down... :)