Saturday, April 11, 2009

Just Weird

Hubby and I have been discussing what to do with our money, whatever we have left over after paying Uncle Sam, childcare, student loans, mortgage, and of course, feeding of these two cute kids.

Allow me for a tangent- one of the things I am REALLY looking forward to as a part time worker is to have more time to cook food. I know, I can probably work more and pay for the food and help the economy that way, but nope. Instead, I am decreasing my contribution to society, and making my own pizzas from scratch. Starting with flour, yeast, olive oil. Aidan LOVES this pizza and Zoe will eat it too (unlike the stuff we get delivered.) I figure that I am saving money, after investing in a pizza stone, buying the freshest ingredients. If only I have the energy to make my own pizza sauce that so that I can save a dollar. Maybe next time.


Anyway, so I find it kind of weird (to put it mildly) and to put it frankly, ridiculous, that President Obama is telling Americans to go buy a car, a house, to refinance, whatever, to spend money. HELLO! We are in this mess because we spend beyond our means, and we keep thinking we can use our homes as ATM machines, and people just want more and more money. While I understand that there has to be money spent for this economy to recover, however, fundamentally, those people who can afford things are already buying them. His encouragement isn't necessary and perhaps can even be the justification for people who don't have money to spend money. Just weird, is all I am saying.

BTW, the op-ed section in The Wall Street Journal has been awesome these past few days. There was one about the tax code needs to be simplified, another about the ridiculousness of the Obama administration wanting to regulate venture capital funds, and so much more. If anything, Obama should encourage people to subscribe to the WSJ to educate themselves about good financial habits.

Back to my original point: What to do about our money? The better question probably is: What are we not doing with our money?
The other day, Aidan wanted to hear about our first date while I was driving somewhere with him, and it occurred to me that Hubby had picked me up for our first date in the very car that I was driving. Aidan wanted to know how old the car is, if he is older than the car. The car is fourteen years old! (My trusty Volvo is eleven years old.) We are apparently simply refusing to get a new car.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I'm sure Barack or Arnie will gladly accept a "donation" to assist with our governments' budget problems.