I have been working with this couple in therapy for quite some time. They are a delight to work with- they come as they are, they bicker in session the way they do at home, they are willing to be vulnerable, to not be defensive, and in a lot of ways, they are just like me.
I like it when my patients are just like me. I identify with their problems, joys and sorrows. However, it also makes it difficult to remain completely neutral.
Like when I see them at soccer.
This particular couple have children, just about as old as A&Z are. They know this, because they have seen me RUN to the potty with Zoe during Aidan's soccer practice.
Today, towards the end of our session, somehow, I suggested that they might want to consider getting rid of cable. I suggested that because the theme in treatment revolved around not having enough time and feeling overwhelmed.
These two issues: not having enough time and feeling overwhelmed, are well known to me! I live that! A practical for Hubby and I to solve this prevailing problem in our society is to not watch TV. Truthfully, we used to have cable, when it came with my med school dorm and then later, our first apartment. However, from those two years, I knew what a time suck TV can be. During my second year of school, I used to watch The Titanic ALL the time. I bet I could have really mastered immunology had I not been watching all that TV- you see, the complement system is still beyond me, thankfully, that topic has NEVER come up in my practice.
Anyway, since moving to California, we didn't want to spend our own hard earned, post tax money on cable. Thus, A&Z only get to watch cable when we are in hotels, or when they go to other people's houses. Aidan had a play date about a month ago, that when I went to pick him up, Edith asked me, "You don't have TV at home, do you? That is all he wanted to do!" Yup, that is my child. To be clear, Aidan does watch some programs, whatever we can get on Netflix, mainly, SpongeBob Squarepants. However, not having traditional TV and cable in our home has really minimized the begging for junk food, nagging for more plastic stuff, and all that.
To not be sucked into sitting on the couch nightly is truly how this household can function. I get so much done in the evenings!
Of course then, I realize my house is like camp. There is a schedule to everything, and when the camp schedule isn't followed closely, we run into problems. For instance, this camp works best when I shower first in the morning, and Hubby showers while the kids and I eat breakfast, and then he gobbles something down while the kids put on shoes. This morning, we deviated from the plan! GASP. Hubby ATE breakfast with the kids, then got ready! THE HORROR!!! Fun was had by everyone, but this mother wasn't able to load herself in the car at 8:45. She finally got in the car at 8:49! THE HORROR.
Like I said, I belong to camp life.
Perhaps I am a bit of an extreme, but trust me, getting rid of your cable and having a schedule will help you. With kids or without.
p.s. I should also come clean, that when the Olympics, world skating championships, and like are on, I REALLY miss not having TV stations... but still, the other times, I don't even think about it.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment