Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Where is the towel?

Aidan is growing up. He is starting to shed his baby teeth. It is really a crazy idea to think that he is getting his permanent teeth. I didn't really pay attention in med school when they talked about teeth, (and it is highly possible they actually never talked about teeth. Hard to know for sure, but I can't think of which class would have covered teeth... I do remember we decapitated our cadaver on Halloween...) and so I am not sure if they are suppose to lose them in the order they got these baby teeth. Aidan is indeed losing them in the order he grew them. Does that make any sense at all? I am writing this terribly.

Anyway, he is a slightly late bloomer on losing teeth, which is totally fine with us for several reasons. My sister started to lose her teeth when she was still quite little and so when the big teeth came in, her mouth wasn't big enough. They had to pull out four teeth, (or some crazy number like that, I can't remember. Maybe this post is actually about stuff I can't remember.) It was traumatic. We want Aidan's mouth to grow big first, then get big teeth. Secondly, I am not sure if Aidan is really up to taking good care of his permanent teeth yet, therefore, the longer we can wait, the better.

While we want these teeth to stay in as long as possible, in his mind, all his friends have been losing teeth already, for a long time. Therefore, he was SO excited when the first one got loose.

My mother always offered to just yank out loose tooth instead of waiting and waiting until the bitter end. Of course, since I am more and more like my mother these days, I offered to pull Aidan's.

A few weeks ago, while Hubby was in Canada on a business trip, I pulled one.

Tonight, I pulled another one. We are getting our routine down. It goes like this:

Aidan: "Mommy, I think this one is ready."

Me: "Ok, after dinner."

After we finished dinner and ate our share of Halloween candy, (very fitting, don't you think?) we got down to business.

Me: "Aidan, lay down on the kitchen floor." He got down as I found a kitchen towel. I took hold of the tooth, yanked it out, and then, "Ok, bite down on the towel."

Voila, perhaps I should have gone to dental school.

No comments: