Two weeks ago, one of my oldest and sweetest friends, K, sent me an e mail about some bad news. That evening, I shooed the kids away, and called her. She cried and I cried. The she laughed and I laughed.
Hubby and I talked about the situation, and it was determined that if a chance arose, I would go see her, no matter what.
The opportunity came, and I booked my flight. In the darkest moments before dawn, I crept out of the house and climbed into my car, which had already been parked on the street- I dared not wake up the children by opening up the garage- and drove to the airport. I promptly got lost on my way to the airport- absolutely no clue how I did this. For my real life friends, this airport I went to involved using a bridge, and somehow, I missed my exit, and kept going, and then I ended up driving through some SKETCHY places...
I got to see K, and her family. While I was ecstatic about a little boy that is growing in her, we were also devastated by her mom's illness. To experience the extremes of joy and sorrow, at the same time, was just overwhelming. Sweet K does read this blog, and thus, My Sweet K, big hugs for you again.
We met in college- in the dinning hall, about the first week of school. I had some how drew into this dorm by my lonesome- all my other friends had drew into a different dorm across the courtyard, I know, I know, SO far away. I had gone to the dinning hall by myself and was determined to make new friends. Somehow I sat with K and some other women, and I started to tell them why poop is brown. (Totally, charming.) From then on, we started to hang out more and more. Our gang consisted of K, me, and L. (L lives close by and will actually be going to Aidan's 'Holiday' sing along with us this Thursday!) We were as different as night and day, yet the three of us grew closer and closer. We even took a trip to Maui before my senior year! After I graduated, K and I would meet each other whenever we could. She met me in NY, PA, and I only wished I could have met her in Quebec- but alas, multiple deaths in my family that winter prevented me from making the trip. But I also think, that prior to K and L, I was too closed off, and to drive six hours to see someone was silly. I am so glad, that God has used K and L, to make me more people-centered, and less practicality-centered.
Pray for K's family, would you? They need it, and I crave it even more for them.
Tickets Available For Brooklyn Heights Association’s 2026 Designer
Showhouse; BHA Receives Grant for Commercial Development
-
As we noted here, the Brooklyn Heights Association’s 2026 Designer
Showhouse is the recently restored 1 Monroe Place. It will be open starting
Friday, Octo...
1 week ago
1 comment:
Hi! What a beautiful and touching post. It meant the world to have you visit and I am so grateful that our friendship has been sustained all these years. It is so funny to think of us back in college! You are a terrific friend. Love, K
Post a Comment