I am inspired. My friend, over here, is an amazing hostess. I have eaten quite a few fancy meals at her house- A Chinese New Year party, Aidan's first Easter, a Day After Thanksgiving Feast, and many others. I once invited them over for dinner at our house... and I forgot all about it. We left the house. When they came over to eat, they found a dark and empty house instead. They still left us a beautiful plant, and a kind note, "Hmm, we are on today, right?!"
Last night, while I pondered what our family should do for New Year's, I finagled an invitation to her party. Woohoo!
Coincidentally, I had know her husband since 7th grade, theoretically. We were in the same orchestra, but for the life of me, I have no recollection of him, WHATSOEVER. I think I was in the "boys are disgusting and to be hated" phase of life.
Anyway, they are inspiring in their gift of hospitality. They love through the service of comfort, food, and fun.
I want to be like that.
When I was in college, I secretly got myself a college mom. I was this bright-eyed, bushy-tailed 17 year old, eager to get straight A's, excited to be free, and most of all, desperate to find out what I was suppose to be. C gave me a job- playing the piano at the Protestant worship service. It was THE BEST paying gig, EVER. As church going kid since age four weeks, I had played for all kinds of worship services, and never got a dime. Yet C paid me for something I would do anyway, and the best part of the job? I got to talk to her and pray with her, be prayed for by her, for 1/2 hour before every Sunday worship. I don't think she knew I was making her my college mom, but I did! (She also reads this blog! See, she is like my mother.) Anyway, another crazy thing C did for me was to hire me to baby-sit her boys. These angelic boys did not need a sitter, so it was the best kind of baby-sitting job- I got to read her Martha Stewart cookbooks after the boys went to bed. She also hired me to help at her annual Christmas party. Those parties are CRAZY! All these professors (100+ of them) from the colleges floated through, they were wined, dined, and it was so cool to see MY professors having fun! There were these meatballs that she served in a chafing dish, I was very, very, impressed. She also had this amazing collection of mugs and plates. I don't think she ever used paper products at those parties- it was all the real stuff!
I want to be like that.
So I am going to try to have a party at our house. And I think I need to get down to business and send out an evite tonight, before I regret it. This is a good New Year's resolution, don't you think? To serve, to love, and to comfort, and most of all, to have fun!
Leave me a note here or FB or talk to me, if you want to come to this bash.
Friday, December 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We would like to join the fun if schedule allows. I can bring something and/or be your helper :)
A.T.
Post a Comment