Monday, May 18, 2009

Physicians, Heal Thyself

Sometimes, I wonder what my patients see in me. Day in and day out, I hear about people's problems. Problems with their marriages, children, work, finances, friends. Problems about their depression, anxiety, irritability, and inattention.

Then I come home, usually to my two adorable children, a loving husband, yet occasionally, I find myself sounding like I am in need of a psychiatrist.

"YOU PEOPLE NEED TO BE QUIET AND LET YOUR MOTHER TALK TO HER HUSBAND IN PEACE!"

"YOU PEOPLE NEED TO NOT LEAVE YOUR SOCKS ALL OVER THE HOUSE!"

"I NEED A BREAK!"

As I say these things, always in a calm and soothing voice, of course, I wonder, if my patients ever think that I encounter their problems in my own life, ALL THE TIME, just not the same severity.

Yup. I chose psychiatry for a reason, of course. Probably because I saw a little bit of myself in all those patients I encountered (and probably not a great thing to write about in one's application to residency.) Indeed, Hubby and I were talking about my parents' upcoming visit, and yes, it is making me a little nervous. I just haven't seen them in a long time, and well, you know, I haven't been in practice of being a daughter. Hubby said, "You know, you can be anxious."

Seriously?

Neurotic, I will admit to. But anxious? Hmm. In quiet reflection, of course, I can be anxious. One really wants some level of anxiety in one's physician, you know, that is what makes a physician thorough, diligent, and less likely to make errors. Some anxiety also helps me to be on top of mothering A&Z- that is how they get enough sleep, and don't develop butt rashes ALL the time. (Just sometimes.)

So anyway, I am thinking about the phrase, "Physicians, heal thyself!" Perhaps I need some cognitive behavioral training to cope with all that is on my plate. Like the oral boards that I need to prepare for...

No comments: