I really like my job. But is there something better out there? That is always the question.
Since my residency graduation, I have worked at a hospital, worked for a county health agency, and for myself. Of these three, I think I really like working for myself the most. I like the autonomy, the flexibility, and the wide range of patients I work with.
Second on the list was my job with the hospital- I loved the people there. The nurses, the other doctors, and did I mention, the lounge. It was a magical place- always stocked with drinks, breakfast, and lunch! Newspapers too! And a HUGE TV. Lots of computers to do work, and phones to dictate. I also loved the compensation I got from the hospital for being on call. Basically, I got paid for using the lounge! (Although, my hospital admitting privileges required a fee, and I believe that fee paid for the lounge.)
Unfortunately, my least favorite job was working for the county health agency. My colleagues were awesome, the patients were challenging, however, the system made it hideous. I despised the fact that there were grievances against me for practicing sound medicine- because I didn't ask how high when the patient told me to jump. I found the powers-at-be yielded too much power...
It is a blessing, really, that I have had these opportunities, and well, new opportunities present themselves to me frequently! Thanks to my awesome colleagues from the past, I am now having to figure out, "Is this what I really want? Or should I seriously consider a new opportunity?" Hubby says that he doesn't know anyone else who starts a job and wonders what the next job should be. (I really have only been in mu current job for six months...)
It is tricky, to consider this in light of the needs of A&Z, and Hubby. After all, we are in escrow for a house, does it make sense to change now? Probably not, but I like to keep my options open.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment