Since my posted about looking for a cabinet to extend our storage capabilities a few weeks ago, I decided to actually go buy the cabinet. Where else? IKEA! The plan was that I would go get the shelf by myself, and Hubby would assembled it some other time. It couldn't be a family outing, because I was not willing to take two kids to IKEA, and also, to bring back anything from IKEA would mean that we have to plop down our backseat and therefore, no kids allowed.
However, since Hubby was so industriously working on our holiday photo, which he planned on writing about over at his blog later, I took pity on him and decided to take Aidan with me while Zoe napped.
Aidan was quite the gentleman the whole trip, he was cheerful, pleasant, cooperative, and very well related. Good times were had by all. We finally found the cabinet, the Liatorp bookcase, in case anyone was curious, and after a long hassle, finally located it in the aisles and bins nightmare in the marketplace. There was no help to be had other than my 44 inch tall gentleman, so he and I lifted all three boxes onto the big shopping cart. The biggest box was 128 pounds and 85 inches long!
As we inched our way up to the cash register, the young lady saw us saunter up ever too slowly for her, said, "Could you bring it over here?" I said, "I would if I could, but it is really heavy so I can't."
Once we paid and gobbled up our hot dog and soda (yes, Aidan had soda...), we wheeled our madness to the car. Fortunately for us, we had a spot at the family loading section, unfortunately for us, it meant EVERYONE wanted our spot. A young father in a fancy SUV pulled up and started signaling that he wanted our spot. I yelled over, "I am going to be quite a while!!!" He waved and indicated that was fine with him. So, as he watched from the comfort of his fancy SUV, Aidan and I, painstakingly, lifted our very heavy, long, awkward, boxes into Hubby's little Mazda. Only to have my fears realized:" the trunk was not going to close! And Aidan wouldn't be able to sit in the back!!!
Finally, the guy's wife rolled down her window from the back seat, "Do you need help?" Seriously?! You think?!
But by then, the hard work was done, and I said, "We are fine, I just need to go back in to get twine and tie down the trunk. You probably want to find another spot."
Then, when we came back out with twine, another SUV was waiting for our spot. Aidan and I very diligently tied the trunk to the latch, again, and again, and again, until I was certain we could make our drive back safely.
Once Aidan sat in his front seat, he asked, "What if the police finds me in the front? Will they take me away?"
I told him that he will be fine, my chivalrous little gentleman.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment