When we met up with V&C a few evenings ago, we talked about blogs, bloggers, and why people blog, and how they choose their contents.
I blog, because, well, I have a lot to say. Apparently.
I have realized that I consistently don't blog about my relationships with adults. Obviously, a lady has to keep certain things a mystery. =) What I do blog is the following, in no particular order:
Aidan, Zoe, Hubby, Hubby's photography work, my work, shoes, baking, and lately, a lot about money.
When I am sitting with a patient, and inevitably, life happens and our sessions go one way or another. For instance, when my session was interrupted because Aidan was sobbing outside. I console myself with the phrase: It is just more gris for the mill. That all those things, just help me to collect more evidence about how my patient interacts with his/her real world. In the above example, if my patient became really annoyed, I would draw one conclusion. Or if the person isn't rattled at all and offers to end the session early, I would draw another conclusion. Just more gris for the mill- a Western Midland phrase from England, actually.
Money, I have found, is an excellent gris for the mill.
At work, since people pay me, they have to put a certain value on the issue they are working on to justify the cost, especially in this hideous economy. By the way, we got our statements for October from E trade yesterday- OUCH.
In my life, I find that how I spend money tells a lot about myself. Clearly, Jesus repeatedly talked about money for a reason: It is really hard to manage money well. As I struggle with what is a reasonable amount of money to spend on this or that, "Is $7 for a loaf of cinnamon bread too much?" But the time it takes me to make the bread is also not insignificant. (Whereas, shoes I cannot make, and thus, any amount is reasonable for shoes!) How do I reconcile these things? I don't know all the answers, obviously. However, as I often tell my patients: I am not here to provide you answers, I am here to ask questions and make interpretations so that you can find your own answers. Incidentally, most patients just want me to tell them the 'right answers.'
As for this blog, perhaps I should monetize it, on the suggestion of V. If I manage to monetize this, can you imagine how many cleft surgeries I could buy?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment