Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To Go or Not To Go?



Aidan has been obsessed with numbers, particularly, number 7. His AYSO jersey was number 7, and he had been on a hunt, for all numbers bigger and smaller than 7. Is 6 bigger or smaller than 7? How about 8? After a short while, this has gotten OLD. I asked Aidan last week, "Honey, do you want to learn more about numbers?" His answer was a resounding YES!

This has made the issue of extracurricular activities resurface again. While Grandpa runs a Kumon Center (for math and reading, Japanese style, repetitive learning...) and even though he has not said anything about it, I know it would delight him so to be able to teach our kids via his work. Besides, if inquiring minds want to learn, who am I to stand in the way?

However, I know that Aidan tends to act out when he is bored. For instance, at swimming and skating, when he no longer feels challenged, he will say, "I don't want to go today."

I don't want to ever hear him say, "I don't want to go to school today. I am so bored there." Therefore, should I reserve all learning until kindergarten so that he will always be challenged? I just don't know.

Yesterday, at Zoe's well visit with our pediatrician, Dr. B. remarked that Aidan's handwriting is excellent and that he is obviously ready for real school. I am proud of Aidan's progress, of his enthusiasm of learning, and I want to encourage that, but I also don't want to raise him to be a "I-know-more-than-all-my-friends" kind of snotty kid. You know?

Should I take him to Kumon or should I not take him?

As Thanksgiving is fast approaching, my other question is: Should I go shopping for Christmas or should I stay in denial?

We have not bought anything so far. Who am I kidding about this? Must get in gear...

So, after work today, I am going to go to the mall. If nothing else, to get Zoe a hat. She has been asking for a hat. Who am I to deny her accessories?

No comments: