Monday, November 17, 2008

Only Temporary...

We had dinner with A&S last night, and it was lovely. We talked about life, house, kids, and ended the evening with a lengthy discussion about lunch. Yes, lunch. If you know A&S in real life, you will have to grill them about 'lunch.' (Ok, so the only people who read this who also know A&S would be C&V, and yes, you two should ask about lunch.)

After they left, I kept thinking about the idea of my life being in the temporary phase at the moment. In med school, I felt I could do anything since all rotations will eventually end, even the really grueling ones. Surgery lasted just eight weeks. Even the longest rotation, internal medicine, with 6-day work weeks, still only lasted twelve weeks.

When Aidan was a newborn, I felt my life was OVER. The incessant screaming, endless feeding, and no-time for myself situation, left me in tears. I thought that was going to be my life. Forever. No more fun, just screaming baby. When other experienced moms told me that this phase will end, I simply could not, would not, believe them.

But alas, they were right. That hideous phase ended, and all children DO eventually sleep through the night.

This temporary idea, of course, extends beyond raising kids. My work is also just temporary- to avoid the AMT, and other taxes. Our unending house work is also temporary- there will be a time when the house will be painted. Our church life is also temporary- since God can call us to different things later. The only eternal thing is the Kingdom. Thankfully, that is the only eternal thing.

Meanwhile, I am certain God wants us to enjoy things here, however temporary. For Aidan, this means getting a roommate! We moved Zoe into Aidan's room so that they would have a big play room. Aidan was simply ecstatic. "I will take care of her! She is my responsibility!" Getting to bed last night was a little tricky. But they were quiet by 9 pm, and I heard Aidan go use the bathroom in the wee hours, and no one made loud noises. This morning, I got up at 7, and was wondering, who will make noises, and how do I let one continue to sleep when the other gets up early...? I walked by their room and it was as bright as the sun! Aidan had decided that the room was too dark (we switched to a dimmer light for Zoe) and he had turned on his 100 watt table lamp! Zoe was sitting in her crib, watching her big brother sleep. It was priceless.

A new phase of life for us: We once again have access to the printer between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am. This will only be temporary, of course. But we are loving it.


No comments: