Friday, November 14, 2008

A Song

It is just amazing what a song can do. There are times I hear a melody and I immediately get transported back to some place at a certain time. It all feels so real that I might as well be living that moment.

There is the overture to The Marriage of Figaro. I learned that piece in fourth grade, and played the violin part with the orchestra. Hearing the notes, I remember the boy that I had a crush on (who was very mischievous and ran into a glass door once, he shattered the glass and the broken glass had cut a tendon in his forearm. He got in SO much trouble.) Like I said, the memories are vivid.

There is this song, "Your Beloved" by Brent Helming.

Lord it was you
who created the heavens
Lord it was your hand
That put the stars in their place
Lord it was your voice
That commands the morning
even oceans and their waves
bow at your feet

Lord who am I
compared to your glory Oh Lord
Lord who am I compared to your majesty

Chorus
I'm your beloved
Your creation
and you love me as I am
Yo have called me chosen
for your people
Unashamed to call me your own
I'm your beloved

Lord it was you
Who created the heavans
Lord it was your hand
that put the stars in their place
Lord it was your voice
that commands the morning
even oceans and their waves
bow at your feet

Lord who am I
Compared to glory Oh Lord
Lord who am I
Compared to your majesty


I'm your beloved
Your Creation
and you love me as I am
you have called me chosen
for your kingdom
Unashamed to call me your own
I'm your beloved

When I hear the song, I can almost hear my roommate from medical school, R, humming it in the hall way, while she cooked dinner, while she studied. I think, this was one of her favorite songs when we were second years. I also remember singing this at a retreat as a first year and there were tears streaming down my face, because in that instant, God told me, "I am His beloved, and He would withhold nothing from me. He will give me ALL His good gifts." He did give me all good gifts, including dear Hubby.

Today, I heard this song at a funeral- the funeral of my patient who died last week. It was a beautiful service, it provided closure for many, myself included. And, it was beautiful to consider, once again, God has claimed us as His own, just as we are.

No comments: