Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Roller Coaster

First of all, the posting of pictures here have been scant. Yup, it is true. I am too lazy to make it happen. However, I promise, we have really cute pictures of the children dressed up for a Christmas party, pictures of the Thanksgiving meal we just ate last night- since we celebrated Thanksgiving with Hubby's extended family, we had a Chinese Thanksgiving, without a turkey. While super yummy, we missed eating the 'right kind of poultry' for this day. Therefore, last night, I whipped up Thanksgiving for four. It was very good, if I may say so myself. The children thought the cranberry sauce was the best thing ever.

Anyway, so we have lots of pictures, but none to show...

Meanwhile, Aidan and I seem to be riding on an emotional roller coaster these days. Per our family planning scheme, I ended up taking some birth control pills for a few months. It was heinous getting on the pills, in terms of irritability and lability, and it was terrible getting off of them. I found myself sobbing to a Christmas carol yesterday on my way to work.

As a side note, sometimes, women are started on OCPs because of mood disorders, such as severe PMS. However, a significant population actually can develop mood disorders because the progesterone in these pills can cause depression. While this is not a place for medical advice, I generally do not recommend OCP for mood disorders. For acne, sure. For depression, not so much.

Furthermore, OCPs can cause a decrease in libido- thoughts are that OCPs can form proteins that bind to free testosterone, which is the driving hormone for libido. Therefore, with less free testosterone, libido can be decreased. I say "can" because the relationship is not 100%. To be free of worries of conceiving might actually increase someone's libido. Alas, I digress.

I like to blame my irritability on the pills, however, there will come a day when I will be completely off artificial hormones and onto my own, and I am absolutely certain, I can still be irritable and labile. I guess by then, I will just have to blame it on sin.

As for Aidan, he hasn't been on OCP or anything else for that matter. I think he is just experiencing emotions. Yesterday morning, after we had breakfast, he suddenly realized that he had some rollie pollies that he had found from LONG time ago. He had made them a home in a plastic bowl and had fed them some leaves. Of course, they died and probably went down the drain to join all those uneaten bits of food. However, he remembered them yesterday. And sobbed that his rollie pollies were dead, while somewhat reassured that these rollie pollies probably are quite happy with Jesus, he still sobbed how much he missed them.

Then, we (I mean, I) accidentally left his beloved Hippo at school. Never mind that there were FOUR other hippos at home, he sourly missed his Hippo. "What will Hippo eat for dinner?" "How will Hippo sleep?" "Who will play with Hippo?" Hubby said, "Aidan, does Hippo actually ever eat with us?!" He doesn't. Our stuffed animals do not eat. For now.

I suppose this is the age appropriate animistic thinking... Maybe I will be serving dinner for five tonight.

3 comments:

emilymr said...

HEY, maybe that's why I'm so cranky and yell-y lately!! I just switched to regular pills from the minipill. And all this time I've been blaming Micah...

Just me said...

Let's blame it on the pill instead of our really cute children. I hate the pill.

Phat Baby Photographer said...

Hmm... why don't you have any photos to show.