I am sitting next to Hubby, while he works on his photography stuff, I am theoretically updating our budget. Pulling up the file from the computer, there is no copy of the household budget for 2008, or 2007, for that matter. The most recent budget is from 2006. Never mind that it is now February, and I am working on a budget. Moreover, why we even bother with a budget is beyond me, since I have no idea how much money we really make, or take home. We don't know how much money we ever make because, well, I have never really worked all year, at a real job. Yup. My income changed every year because the salary changed every year as I moved up through residency. Then, who can really predict how much I would moonlight? Then, I would go have babies, and take six months unpaid leave. Then I would have a real job. Then I would be in transition from a real job, to being my own boss. I might as well be asking A&Z how much money they think Mommy should make. There is also the problem about taxes. With AMT in the equation, we have no clue how much taxes we will owe, so of the greenbacks we gross, who can really tell me how much of that will be ours? Apparently, no one, since the tax laws are constantly changing. As evidenced by last year's tax season, the AMT calculations kept changing even after the forms were printed.
Why do I bother with a budget then? Well, I am curious to know how much we can save. That's right, we are going to save money this year! For what? For THIS!

Last Thanksgiving, Hubby noted how sore his back was, and how a yoga exercise ball would help him to stretch and strengthen his core. Feeling so generous and clever, I went out and in my madness between all the stores I scored this bright blue exercise ball for him. What I didn't think about was the obvious: Where would we store this thing!
These days, this ball rolls around our living room, when I get around to it, I shove it in the bathroom and close the door, to pretend that I don't actually own this ginormous, space hogging, absolutely not biodegradable piece of plastic. Clearly, we need a storage room for this ball. And therefore, we need to buy a house that comes with a room for storing a yoga ball. And thus, we need a budget to save for this ridiculous need. And like I said, this is quite a circumstantial post.
No comments:
Post a Comment