Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Run-Ins

I am running into patients ALL over the place.

A while ago, I had to call in sick on a Friday because Zoe was ill. Then on Saturday, we all went out for a leisurely walk. As we were walking, I saw this couple get out of their very new Prius, and boy! Was I surprised to see that the guy was a patient of mine, who complained to me how he didn't have any money (and refused to get a job). We kept walking, and they passed us.

Last Friday, I went to my gym for a quick swim at lunch time. As I lugged my charming beach bucket full of my toiletries, held onto my swimsuit, walked as quickly as I could, I saw him. He was coming out of the men's locker room. He was my new patient last week. He was a young schizophrenic. We made eye contact, and I thought he might have recognized me, but by then, I had walked past him and ducked into the women's locker room.

Last night, I was back at the gym, watching Aidan swim while sweating it out on the elliptical machine. He was there again! I quickly looked down at my book, hoping that he won't notice me, won't recognized me, and if he did recognize me, he won't want to make conversation.

I really didn't need him to see me all sweaty, in a tank top, reading Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger. I am going to explore with him what his schedule is like- so that I could avoid the gym when he goes.

Last Sunday, we made a quick trip to Joann's to pick up some ribbon for Hubby's Phat Baby Photography work. I was lugging Aidan into the store as he talked about how much he needed to pee, right away. Out came a patient from private practice. We made eye contact, and she continued with her way, and we made a mad dash for the restroom.

Today, I was headed to my women's Bible Study, as I walked across the lobby, I saw another patient. As I sat at my table, I prayed, "Dear God, please, please, don't let her be assigned to my table."

On average, I run into about one patient every week at the grocery store, church, gym, mall, Costco, random places.

I have a rule: When I run into patients, I don't say hi. Seriously, people probably don't want to introduce me to their friends, "Hey, this is my psychiatrist." No, people like their privacy. However, if people want to say hi to me, they can feel free to do so.

However, that rule doesn't account for times when I am disheveled, sweaty, cranky, vulnerable, lugging dirty, cranky, whining, crying children.

As my practice grows, this is only the beginning...

2 comments:

Kindyland said...

This post made me think because I really think that is a good rule that you don't associate with your patients outside of your practice. However, just a brief hello and that's it, is fine with me. I ran into my psychologist (who I see once a week) in the mall once and we both said hey, and I said, 'see ya next week!' literally without even stopping. No big thing at all. But had she had someone with her or I had someone with me, it might have been awkward. Not sure what I would have done in that case. We don't live in the same city, so that one time I saw her was a fluke. I think glancing a smile and maybe discussing with them next time that if you see them in public they shouldn't get offended if you don't speak because it's your policy not to talk to patients outside of the office. That might make me feel better than thinking I was being shunned.

Just me said...

I should clarify: it is not my policy to NOT speak with my patients. It is that I leave it to them if they want to talk to me, and thus, I have no reaction upon seeing my patients out and about.
But the thing is, this policy works great when I am wearing my finest clothes, but not so well when I am totally sweaty, gross, yelling at my children... (which of course, never happens...)