
You would think picking a kindergarten would not be this complicated. It is a place to play, learn, and grow, and I mean, it can't be more consuming than, say, applying to medical schools, right?
While it isn't as time consuming as applying to medical schools, I am having great difficulty determining what would be 'best' for Aidan. What do I know about what is 'best' for him? What is 'best', and what would be 'for him'?
We're blessed to live in a neighborhood where the public education system is sound, and with an explosion in the baby population in the last few years, enrolling Aidan in kindergarten has gotten tricky. There are a few issues,
1. Overcrowding: Last year, they had so many more kindergartners than they had space for at our neighborhood school, and some had to be farmed out to places... Therefore, the district had changed the enrollment dates and policies, to try to convince parents to send children to private schools, (I think, paranoid maybe, but why make the enrollment dates later than private school's notification dates?!)
2. Calendar Schedule: We also can 'choose' if we want regular school calendar or year-round schedule. We prefer year round, just so that we can go on vacation when other children are in school.
3. Montessori or Regular School: We can also 'choose' a Montessori program, but how would I know if Aidan would benefit from this?
Basically, we can 'choose' but it will come down to number of kids wanting certain things and then it is 'lottery'. But, the whole thing is so un-transparent, that I have this conspiracy theory that they will grant parents' requests for inter-district transfers just so that our neighborhood school wouldn't be so congested.
Thankfully, I rest on the fact that God has a special, and specific, plan for Aidan. And no matter how blindly I choose, God is in charge.
1 comment:
Amen, that God is in charge of this schooling stuff. I'm glad to have a friend to navigate these tricky waters with! ;)
Post a Comment