Here is a picture of us from my brother's wedding. A preview, if you will, since Hubby will be posting more of it once the lovely bride and groom are back from their honeymoon.

Thankfully, we made it home safely and without too much excitement- except for finding out that our plane to go home was frozen, and our flight was delayed for nearly eternity...
Anyway, we made it. A&Z went back to school today, and Hubby and I savored today by going to Oakland for Korean food (yum!) and walked around 4th Ave in Berkeley (it had become more chainy in the last few years). I had some time to think about my resolutions.
In reflecting how I did with my resolutions from last year, I was glad to report that some success happened. We are still eating brown rice (although I finally figured out that brown rice needs a LOT more water to cook), but whole wheat pasta are not as welcomed (also, difficult to keep in stock since Costco doesn't sell whole wheat pasta) and Mandarin lessons have gone no where... (BTW, when I saw my relatives at the wedding, a well meaning auntie suggested that I speak Mandarin to A&Z, I thought, "You gotta be kidding me? You think I never thought of that?!")
I am somewhat successfully in trying to feed my family at home more frequently, and with the latest economic news, if not for health reasons, or for financial reasons, than for guilt reasons.
As for having more grace for other people and living sacrificially... Well, let's just say that Jesus will not complete His work in me for a VERY LONG TIME.
For 2009, my resolutions are these:
1. Live in our current home for this year. It is hard for me to think about living here FOREVER. Therefore, to use my cognitive behavioral skills, I am just going to practice radical acceptance, and not catastrophize, and take it one year at a time. Also, check out this posting from a blogger from brownstoner, so true!
We bought our wreck 21 years ago and all our worst fears (which you enumerate succinctly) came true. We are hostages, no, slaves, to this energy-devouring century-old heap, which delights in torturing us from its devious old mechanical heart to its leprous, flaking exterior. It has sucked every penny of disposable income from our combined labors while continuing to deteriorate before our eyes. We have made every imaginable mistake in attempting to "renovate" it, mistakes from which we seldom learn anything, because the next mistake arises from a totally different and unprecedented sort of calamity. Our so-called "investment" has kept us house-poor and chronically overwhelmed for what we laughingly call the "prime" of our lives. And unless someone gives us, oh, say, half a million dollars, it will never get any better. Needless to say, we love this pile of wretched wood and pipes with a passion so tender that to gaze upon it sometimes brings tears to our eyes, at least until a piece of woodwork or roofing falls off in plain sight.
2. Enjoy the moment more. Yes, I am going to be in the moment, even when it is 8:25, and we are still at home, and I am suppose to be at work at 9. I will say, "You cute children, come here, give me a kiss and let's get our shoes on!" Instead of, "YOU BIOLOGICAL-INSERT-OUR-LAST-NAME! GET OVER HERE NOW! WE HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!!!"
3. To live more sacrificially, because Christ has lived sacrificially for me.
Well, I think I have my work cut out for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment