Friday, January 2, 2009

The Leash

Our trip to LA has been good thus far. Our flight was on time, and they lost some of our luggage, and thankfully, they lost the car seats. And only the car seats, not the laptop (we had to check it in since the super duper important stuff- all of Hubby's photography equipment had to go as carry on. While we were legally allowed more carry on pieces, there was no way to carry it all!) and since Southwest had loaners, we didn't care. BTW, we decided to not bring a stroller for this trip. Relatively speaking, Zoe seems so much lighter than Aidan ever was, and therefore, if she doesn't want to walk anymore, we just carry her and thus, Z has spent very little of her life in a stroller.) Alas, I digress. The hotel we stay in is the same property we always stay when we are in this part of LA. I know exactly the layout of the room, and it is strangely comforting. A&Z are also troopers and go to sleep easily, and therefore, no major screaming at night here.

We have had a chance to see Hubby's brother's family, which is always fun. We also are able to convince my sweet friend from college, Kathy, and her husband, to drive a long distance to come to see us. They happen to be in the greater LA area for New Year's- they actually reside in DC, and thus, it is a very special treat for us to see them. BTW, through our conversation, I am pondering about female professionals, but that will have to wait until later.

The bummer thing about this trip is that we won't get to see C- and if you are reading this, SO sorry... I love seeing C and her family whenever we get a a chance. I have known C since 1994. She has been my college parent, and wise adviser ever since. Anyway, a shame we are not able to see her.

The wedding preparations are going fine- Hubby is packing and repacking his case as I type. =) I have also packed my bags for tomorrow, since I will be in charge of the kids independently of spousal help. It will be foretaste of July.

Anyway, the point of this post: The Leash.

We are down here, on 'vacation', but I am still chained to my phone. Since I have this 'boutique' private practice, I promise my patients that I return all phone calls within 24 hours (and they pay me for this availability), I am still responsible for returning these phone calls even away. However, I don't travel with my files, obviously, and therefore, am rather limited to what my brain holds in terms of each patient. What they are taking...etc, and therefore, every time the phone buzzes, my heart quickens a bit. So far, most of the phone calls have been from my mom and sister, to coordinate meeting times, lost items, and random stuff. I have talked to three patients this evening, and thankfully, dementia has not set in and I am able to pretend I am in town...

I don't plan on finding an on call person for when I travel domestically, but, I should start to look for a trusty colleague for my future, hopefully, frequent, international trips.

No comments: