Saturday, January 10, 2009

Education Time

After much internal debate, I have decided to let my boss know about my intentions.

I am resigning. My last day will be March 31st.

After months of deliberation via my very awesome Excel spreadsheets (Hubby has to stifle his chuckles when he looks at them, as a guy who knows all the shortcuts for using Excel, I think it is painful for him to not rearrange all my cells to make the spreadsheet presentable...) of comparing working for myself, working at my salaried position, various combinations, and thinking about the needs of our family... We decided: The time to quit has arrived.

The original plan was that I would stick around until this fall and then quit. However, the events around Christmas and New Year's made it clear to me that God was opening up opportunities for me to quit sooner.

Hubby also kept saying, "You have my full support to do this whenever you want to. Do it whenever!"

I started carrying a bigger load at private practice and not being at home around the children's bedtime. (I really, really, hate this.)

So, I decided that since April 1st is when I can have my own office in private practice, I am quitting the day before.

However, in the meantime, I need to use up my benefits at work, mainly, my education leave. I am allowed 80 hours of this per academic year, and after all that I have been through with them, I am claiming this benefit.

How do I ask my supervisor for this time (to take off in the next few weeks) without telling him why is hard. Besides, I have really enjoyed working with him (he is not the one that has caused my entitlement to my benefits, he is a great boss, actually) and should really give him a lot of notice so that he can find someone else. So, I am setting aside common practice of two weeks and giving him 11.5 weeks.

(Also, it has gotten ridiculous when I tell patients, "Ok, so I will see you in three months. How about April?" That is just rude!!!)

Thus, I submitted my request for educational time, and after he signed it, I told that I am leaving. He wasn't surprised and was very supportive. As for educational time, you bet I will be studying like mad, and not doing anything related to this picture at all.


No comments: