
Hubby and I had decided to not work today because of his birthday. That was the plan, but with Hubby's recent promotion (sort of, he switched roles within the same company), he had to go to work for a couple of hours this morning.
His absence gave me a leisurely drop off at school- including a chance to see Aidan fall prostrate outside, as he slipped on some sand on cement. I had some time to do more laundry (our bedroom floor now has about seven loads of laundry...) and bake a chocolate molten cake.
As a side note, I started the practice of baking Hubby a cake for his birthday bake in 1997. I used to make a cake out of cake mix, I think it was a yellow cake, with whipped cream for frosting and fresh fruit between the layers. In '98, it was a similar deal. In '99, I made this chocolate cake out of a box, and couldn't flip it out of the pan. It fell apart, and as I groaned and moaned, my roommate suggested that I just use my hands and reshape the cake and put frosting on that. So I did. It was an intensely solid cake! By 2000, we were married I was well supplied with baking gear, so I made cheesecakes. In '01, I made a carrot cake. The tradition continued for a few years, until '04, when I bought him a cake. There was NO correlation whatsoever with the fact that we had a wee baby then. Yeah right.
Anyway, when he got back, we went to the Water Temple and sat there for a while, listened to the trickle and talked about us, our kids, our hopes and dreams. Then we went to Santa Ramen- yummo! Then we came home, watched Smart People and I took a quick nap.
Then we went to Hubby's favorite kind of store- camera store, and this particular one, for serious photographers- in other words, nothing for me to look at. But it was his day, so it was all good. He bought nothing, even though I was encouraging him to buy, ANYTHING! I will get you ANYTHING! Alas, he concluded that for such accessories, the internet would cost about 30-40% less. We picked up the kids. The guys played street hockey, while Z and I made dinner. (Hubby will be posting a video of Aidan playing hockey in the next few days.)
We ate dinner, we ate the cake. Good time was had by all. If only everyday can be like today. But I guess that is what retirement is for.
1 comment:
Thanks so much for adding the link!!
Post a Comment