Sunday, October 26, 2008

See the Wheels Turn

Hubby went to bed at 9 last night, and I joined him at 10, and since we were carrying the plague, we decided to do our church community a favor and skipped church this morning.

I realized this: Even if I were not a Christian, I would still go to church. I mean, how else would young parents get really good childcare for about 90 minutes, for free? To sit on comfy chairs, and possibly, the opportunity to take a nap? And, free snacks afterwards? Can't beat that! (So, if you want all that, come to church with us!)

With our usual Sunday activity out the window, we needed to come up with our own plan... And the big activity we worked up to was...lunch.

There we were, sitting at this Chinese place, wanting to get some good jook (very soft rice cooked in broth with meat and stuff). Zoe was restless. I sternly looked in Zoe's eyes and told her: "You need to stop squirming. You will get hurt when you fall off the chair, and it is just plain rude." She looked at me for a while and decided to obey. Hubby said that he thought he would see the wheels turn in her head, and that Z ultimately decided that this battle would not be worth it. Better save her energy for a more important battle, like getting a boyfriend when she is 12 years old.

We are going to be in trouble...

Meanwhile, Aidan likes to 'teach' his sister the same way we 'teach' him. After dinner today, while we still sat at the dinner table, wondering what happened to our energetic former selves, Aidan asked, "Can we watch TV?" We said, "We are still eating dinner, if you don't want to sit with us, you need to play quietly on your own. It is not nice to interrupt Mommy and Daddy's meal" A minute late, we heard this:
"Zoe! You can't watch TV! It is just SO RUDE! They are still eating dinner." Never mind that Zoe can't actually say the word TV yet...

No comments: