Everyday of this week, I would get to school to pick up my precious children, and everyday, I would get the same report.
Zoe was tired, cranky, and just barely well enough to participate. No fevers though!
Aidan was tired, and napped! Hardly enough energy to run around. No fevers though!
Finally, enough was enough, I was taking them to the pediatrician. To be pronounced to be in perfect health, that they were just grouchy children.
Imagine my shock, when our trusted Dr. B announced that Zoe had an ear infection!
BUMMER! I convinced our doctor to give her a shot of antibiotics instead of messing with four times a day dosing, spilling it everywhere, and wondering if she got any of it at all.
The little girl was thoroughly disgusted, unhappy, and angry about all that I had negotiated on her behalf. After listening to her scream for a very, very, long time, I decided that she was in no shape to go to school. Aidan decided that if Zoe wasn't going to school, he didn't want to either. The only big question left was: How were they going to stay home? I had an afternoon full of patients, Hubby had meetings. Text and voice messages were exchanged, and Hubby did everything he could to rush home. Let's just say that it wasn't the smoothest hand off ever, and Aidan would say that he didn't like to be left home alone, for even just a few minutes. I know, I know, very, very bad. But hey, I was four when I started hanging out at home alone, in the evening, hours at a time, and look at how well I turned out? Besides, Child Protective Services has actually no absolute guidelines about this, and let's just say Aidan is very mature.
Meanwhile, I have this piece of information that might be useful from our pediatrician, from the CDC.
So far, there has been no confirmed cases of the influenza virus in northern California, and therefore, the flu has not arrived our area yet (probably). Making it a necessity that we get the flu shot- and so should you. What we had/have is probably the plain old nasty respiratory syncytial virus, a common cause of croup. I hate RSV.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment