The other day when I was with some friends, getting pampered and celebrating the upcoming arrival of a new baby, a friend asked if I worry about a patient eventually finding my blog.
Well, it would certainly be possible, but I am seriously wishing (possibly delusionally) that would be very unlikely. Therefore, I leave out all identifying information, and I typically only say things that I would not have a problem discussing with a patient anyway.
So, here is an update on the person that had felt his time without me for an initial consultation wasn't helpful enough for a long standing problem. I had sent him a letter requesting payment, and it was very quiet for a long time. Since I only work out of that office two days a week, I only check my mail rarely and sporadically, and with nothing in my box, I was prepared to send him a second letter with phrases about collection agencies and deadlines. Imagine my surprise when I picked up my mail today, and there was a check from him. Wrapped in the letter I had sent. Under the "Note" area, there was a note. "Rip Off."
That is a good one! Those two words totally sum up how he feels! I only wish he would come back and tell me in person to further explore it. I imagine, that a lot of people, after much contemplation, would call a psychiatrist because they have tried 'everything' and 'nothing has worked.' Seeing a psychiatrist is often one's last resort. A lot of expectations are made, and it is often so disappointing, that nothing changes upon the conclusion of a first consultation. I often tell my new patients, "I have only known you for X minutes, and we are discussing this issue that has been going on for months/years, and I simply do not know you well enough to predict how quickly you would recover." I can see how people would feel like they are being ripped off.
But I think, discussing the process and content of what had happened in a therapeutic environment would help this person tremendously in his 'real life' relationships. I imagine how he relates to me is similar to how he feels about his marriage.
I will be sending him another letter this week, with a receipt for his payment (just in case he wants to apply for reimbursement through his health insurance) and another invitation for him to come back and discuss these things further.
I will admit, I am an intensity junkie. Bring it on!
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment